Contract: Fitness Classes Coordinator
The FGPC fitness classes coordinator is an hourly contract position that designs the syllabus for fitness classes as well as supervises the work of supporting fitness instructors, in addition to direct instruction when required. The position will work under the supervision of Selkirk Waterfront Fitness (SWF) operations coordinator to design and support delivering fitness classes for the Selkirk community and general gym membership. The contract position will be responsible for a wide range of duties as indicated below:
- To be actively involved in designing fitness and wellness classes that are compliant with the desires of the Selkirk community and general gym membership.
- To understand the requirements of the members and communicate these requirements effectively to the team of instructors/trainers.
- To work closely with the instructors/trainers (as needed) in designing an appropriate class syllabus meeting the requirements stated in (2).
- To ensure that training plans are being delivered effectively by instructors/trainers.
- To assist in creating a class schedule that meets the needs of the member base and attracts new members.
- To make professional recommendations to the SWF operations coordinator regarding the addition of new class formats and/or new instructors.
- To advise the instructors/trainers and clients regarding the rules and policies, precautionary and safety measures that need to be taken, demonstrate how to use the fitness equipment and machinery, ensure that first aid and any medical help is available in case of injury, and to make sure that the fitness equipment remains clean and properly stowed by program participants.
The FGPC fitness classes coordinator must bring a drive and passion for fitness and health, as well as excellent and effective communication skills to be able to guide, counsel, and attract and retain fitness class enthusiasts. S/he should be able to demonstrate excellent organizational and management skills. S/he should be able to think of creative
ideas to motivate members to persevere with their training goals, as well as promote an overall wellness-oriented lifestyle. This profile demands high mobility, and the person
should be comfortable standing, walking, bending, and sitting for long hours. S/he should have excellent supervisory skills and should be able to instruct in a clear and effective
The position requires a bachelor's degree in physical education, health fitness, exercise physiology, or any other relevant field. CPR with AED certification is required, but more
advanced first aid is recommended. A demonstrated track record of successful program development and fitness program innovation would be an advantage.
Anticipated work load will amount to 15-20 hours per week. The schedule may vary at times and will include meetings and seminars related to fitness and health.
Negotiable and commensurate on skills, availability and experience.
FGPC and the gym it owns and operates is a growing and competitive operation under effective management with growing memberships varying in fitness levels.